If you have a pine tree in your yard, you’re in luck! The pine cones that fall off the tree are a versatile and natural material that can be used to create a wide variety of crafts. Of course, you could also look for them in the forest or purchase some at a craft store, and their unique shapes and patterns make them a favorite among crafters of all ages.
We do think it’s important to let you know that in some places, it may not be legal to scavenge pine cones from state or national parks. Please check the park rules first, either at their office or online!
Preparing and Cleaning Pine Cones
Before using pine cones in your crafts, it’s important to prepare and clean them. This can be done by washing them in warm water with a mild detergent, then allowing them to dry completely. Once dry, you can gently brush off any remaining debris with a soft-bristled brush.
Pine Cone Crafts
There are countless ways to use pine cones in your crafts. Here are some examples of pine cone crafts you can make at home with a minimum of supplies. They’re great children’s handicraft activities, too!
- Pinecone Birdfeeders: Roll a pine cone in peanut butter, then roll it in birdseed. Hang it outside for the birds to enjoy.
- Autumn Pine Cone Animals: Use felt, googly eyes, and other craft materials to create cute animals out of pine cones.
- Pinecone Snowman Craft: Stack three pine cones on top of each other to create a snowman shape. Use felt or other materials to add details like a hat, scarf, and face.
- Pine Cone Craft: Splatter Painting: Dip a paintbrush in paint and flick it onto a pine cone to create a splatter effect.
- Snowy Owl Winter Craft: Use white paint and feathers to create a snowy owl out of a pine cone.
- Pine Cone Christmas Trees: Paint pine cones green and add small decorations like beads or mini pompoms to create miniature Christmas trees.
- Pinecone Reindeer: Use pipe cleaners to create antlers for a pine cone reindeer. Add googly eyes and a red pom pom nose.
- Pine Cone Angel Ornament: Create an angel shape out of pipe cleaners and attach it to the top of a pine cone. Add wings made from feathers or paper.
- Pine Cone Snake: Paint several pine cones in bright colors and string them together to create a snake.
- Cute Pinecone Penguins: Paint a pine cone black and white to create the body of a penguin. Add felt wings, feet, and a beak.
- Gorgeous Frosty pine cones: Paint the tips of a pine cone with white paint to create the look of frost.
- Pine Cone Fairies: Create fairy wings out of paper or fabric and attach them to the back of a pine cone. Add details like hair, faces, and clothing using craft materials.
- Pinecone Pumpkin Craft: Paint a pine cone orange and add green felt leaves to create a miniature pumpkin.
Making crafts with pine cones is not only fun but also allows you to create unique decorations for your home or gifts for friends and family. With so many possibilities, the only limit is your imagination!